If you are interested in the low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat, ketogenic diet, then this is the podcast for you. We zero in exclusively on all the questions people have about how being in a state of nutritional ketosis and the effects it has on your health. There are a lot of myths about keto floating around out there and our two amazing cohosts are shooting them down one at a time. Keto Talk is cohosted by 10-year veteran health podcaster and international bestselling author Jimmy Moore from "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" and Arizona osteopath and certified bariatric physician Dr. Adam Nally from "Doc Muscles" who thoroughly share from their wealth of experience on the ketogenic lifestyle each and every Thursday. We love hearing from our fabulous Ketonian listeners with new questions--send an email to Jimmy at firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you're not already subscribed to the podcast on iTunes and listened to the past episodes, then you can do that and leave a review HERE. Listen in today as Jimmy and Adam bring clarity to all of your low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diet questions for you in Episode 53.
**Special THANK YOU to Steve, Glyn, Meekin, Krista, Terje, Paul, and Catherine**
Go to PayPal.me/KetoTalk to make a donation.
You can set up automatic monthly payments there.
ORGAN MEATS WITHOUT COOKING
USE COUPON CODE “LLVLC” FOR 20% OFF
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
Did you catch the "real food" advertising in SuperBowl LI? What a fabulous sign that the trend line for real food is shifting!
Here’s what Jimmy and Adam talked about in Episode 53:
- Jimmy and Adam share highlights from the Metabolic Therapeutics Conference in Tampa
- How long until my body adjusts to burning fat for fuel? Can a person be a fat burner but not be in ketosis?
I’m almost 59 years old but very active. I trail run, cycle, downhill ski and strength train (heavy weights low reps all barbell). And when I retire in a year or two I plan on learning how to swim. I’ve been reading a lot about other people’s experiences with the Maffetone method of aerobic exercise and getting faster and faster at the same low heart rate over time. About six years ago, I practiced this method and saw results, but then everything started to regress over time. Maffetone suggests low-carb for a couple of weeks to determine your carb tolerance. After reading and implementing the ideas from Keto Clarity the past couple of weeks, I’m using the Ketostix urine ketone testing strips to determine my protein tolerance and what’s kicking me out of ketosis. Once I get all of this figured out, how long until my body adjusts to burning fat for fuel? And can a person be a fat burner but not be in ketosis?
Thanks so much!
- STUDY THEY DISCUSS: Burning more fat, less glucose could lead to diabetes, mouse models indicate
1. What is the effect of consuming MSG on my ketogenic diet?
Hi Jimmy and the Doc!
I love the podcast and wish I could get it more then once a week! You guys provide such good information. I've been doing keto for 3 months and have lost 25 pounds. My question is about the monosodium glutamate (MSG) found in some low-carb foods like pork rinds, sunflower seeds, and processed meats. I do my best to avoid MSG but if I’m not careful and I eat something with MSG, my weight stalls and I noticeably feel my heart pounding. What effect does MSG have on a ketogenic diet?
2. Will a ketogenic clear up my heartburn? Would taking digestive enzymes help?
Hey Jimmy and The Doc,
I’m a 31-year old female and I’ve been obese for most of my life. But over the last 2 1/2 years I've been able to lose about 70 pounds on a mostly low-carb Paleo diet. My weight has been stuck for the past 8 months and I'm thinking of trying keto to lose the last 30 pounds. I have pretty bad acid reflux and have been taking Prevacid every couple of days for a few years to keep the heartburn at bay.
I have two questions for you guys to address:
1) Do you think my heartburn is caused by my previous unhealthy diet which included grains, beer, and more and that it will clear up on it's own with keto? I'm worried that the Prevacid might be disrupting my ability to break down all the healthy fat i'm eating due to lowering my stomach acid.
2) Could my heartburn be a result of a disrupted microbiome? And if so, should I stop taking heartburn medicine altogether and hope it clears up? Would digestive enzymes be advisable? Any help or insight would be much appreciated.
I love listening to your show! Your podcast has inspired me to pursue a career in nutritional neuroscience (I’m currently finishing my Ph.D. in auditory neuroscience. I’m thinking about writing my dissertation on what causes heartburn).
Thank you for the help!
3. CDoes a ketogenic diet lead to impotence for middle-aged men?
Love your podcast and it’s inspired me to look into the keto way of life. But I am concerned about impotence from eating a ketogenic diet. I have read a lot about this way of eating and unfortunately there seems to be a lot of comments from men in my age range (mid-40's) having impotence problems. Can you shed some light on this and tell me if it is a real problem for men when eating keto?
Thank you for your help,
KETO TALK MAILBOX
– Is it normal to gain body fat percentage transiently when you first start eating keto?
Hi Jimmy and The Doc,
I read Keto Clarity and have been recommending it to many of my patients! I am a naturopathic doctor and have been running a weight loss program in my clinic where I started teaching patients the principles of ketosis. We have 8 participants and in the first two weeks of the program the majority of them lost weight. However, there were 2-3 people whose body fat percentage actually increased slightly. I can’t seem to find much info on this online and was wondering if you could tell me what’s going on. We use the Tanita scale to measure body fat changes. Could this be a transient thing as people begin increasing their fat intake initially? I’m not really sure how to explain this to my patients. Overall, everyone we have put through the program is feeling great and moving in the right direction. YAY!
I really appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks!
Dr. Inna, ND
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 53
- Listen to Jimmy's new Friday podcast: Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore & Dr. Jason Fung Featuring Megan Ramos
- JIMMY AND ADAM'S NEW SUPPLEMENT LINE: Try the KetoEssentials Multivitamin and Berberine Plus ketogenic-enhancing supplements
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: PaleoValley Grass Fed Organs Without the Taste!
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Go to RealGoodPizzaCo.com for delicious low-carb frozen pizza (Get free shipping and 10% off your order with coupon code "LLVLC")
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get YOUR 60-Day FREE TRIAL to GoKetoAthlete.com (Use coupon code LLVLC at checkout)
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association at NutritionalTherapy.com
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get a full selection of ketogenic-friendly foods at OneStopKeto.com (FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99 and use coupon code KETOTALK for a special discount)
- Jimmy Moore from "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb"
- Dr. Adam Nally, DO from DocMuscles.com
- SCIENCE DAILY article: Burning more fat, less glucose could lead to diabetes, mouse models indicate
- HELP KEEP KETO TALK ON THE AIR: MAKE A DONATION HERE